Monday, September 22, 2008

Birthday Boy


Happy Birthday to my favorite son!

Today, although there have been early signs of onset, Ceres officially became a teenager [insert your condolences here]. How did it happen? Where did that little boy, the one who used to shake his booty to jazz music, with the stunning smile and sparkling eyes go? Will I ever see him again?


Occasionally, that boy emerges from its generally happy, but sarcastic and sometimes moody host and reveals his chatty, charming self . Examples of these moments include the trip to Best Buy a couple of days ago to purchase an Xbox 360 Elite for his birthday (I was totally and completely outnumbered on this decision, not to mention not even considered a reliable source of reasoning), the day school started late and his piano lesson was canceled, the drive to a sleepover where there would be much Xbox playing and very little sleep, and finally getting that long-procrastinated book report done. I love those moments.

Somehow, I've got to come to terms with the fact that my son is an ever-changing being progressing through this life at (to me) an alarming speed. My sincerest hope is that he will always find joy, expansive or minute, throughout his life and that his family (well, selfishly, me in particular) will be a major source of that joy to him.

He is my baby, my boy, my teenager, my missionary, my grand children's father, my son. I love him, all.



*Although his birthday was on a Monday, we bought his Xbox the Saturday before. We teased him that, even though he had gone with us to purchase it and that it was in his hot little hands and he could set it up, he wasn't allowed to play it until his birthday. We thought he understood that we were teasing, but he was unsure. It was late when we got home, so he set it up and then went to bed. Sunday morning, I woke up and found him in the family room watching TV. I asked why he wasn't playing Xbox and he replied that he thought he wasn't supposed to play it until Monday. I told him we were only joking. He then jumped up off the couch, said, "See ya!", and zoomed out of the room. We haven't seen him since.

3 comments:

SuperCoolMom said...

He had the best time at the Potato Derby on Wednesday! What a great young man he is!

KaraLyn said...

I was watching him at the potato derby on Wed and thinking... boy he grew up fast. I was thinking about when I started teaching him piano... he seemed so young, and now... he's a young man! YIKES!!! Anyways... Happy Be-lated b-day to him!

The Whimsical Goblin said...

Tell him Happy Birthday. I know that Draven talked to him today, so hopefully he mentioned it, but you know boys, they dont think of those things.

Yep I remember when I first met Ceres. He sure has grown up. He's taller than me now, yikes.