Monday, September 15, 2008

They Weren't Looking at Her Shoes

My sister, Toni, and her husband came down from Utah this last weekend for my nephew's missionary farewell. While she was here, she and I and mom took a little trip to Dillard's. We stopped in the shoe department to observe a pair of shoes. I liked their greenish color, but the design of the shoe was odd. We had decided we didn't like the shoes when I looked to see what brand they were (you know how, when you're on the fence about a pair of shoes, the brand name can make all the difference of whether they are "worthy" of your feet or not?). Well. . .

They were Jessica Simpson shoes.

As my mom reached to touch them, I exclaimed, "Don't touch those, they have cooties!"

Startled, she drew back her hand and asked, "Huh?"

I first had to tell her who Jessica Simpson was, and then explain to her that my (other) sister and I have boycotted Jessica Simpson's shoe collection because her public image (a little bit dumb, a little bit trashy, a whole lot of fake blonde hair) gives us Roly-Eye-and-Gag Syndrome (yeah, I just made that up. Do I need to explain?).

So we moved on. We had a great weekend with nary another thought of the celebrity. Jake's farewell was awesome; his talk really good (and as Grandma Honey said to me, the most we'd ever heard him talk at once).

Last night, after Toni had flown home, I received a text message from her. Our texting conversation went like this:

Toni: You just missed Jessica Simpson! SLC airport.

He (Randy, her husband) had one of the guys forward a picture so we could send it to you but it didn't come. Sorry.

All these guys are congratulating themselves for getting pictures of her. Oh, now Randy's best friends with them!

Me: That is too funny. Did she have cute shoes on?

Toni: Um, I wasn't that interested so I didn't look. How dumb is that?

Actually I don't think any of the guys were looking at her feet either.

Me: Really??? I thought that would be the first place they'd look. Silly me.

Toni: Fw: here it is.














Me: Oh, cool. Yeah, definitely not looking at her shoes.

1 comment:

SuperCoolMom said...

Too funny! But wouldn't it have been kind of a kick to be able to tell everyone that your Mom is wearing Jessica Simpson's. Soooo her style. Heeheehee.