Thursday, August 21, 2008

Lost with the Wolves


Have you ever wondered how a child perceives you?

Ceres and I were finishing up a project for school this morning. Basically, he had to choose an experience that has happened to him or may happen to him in the future and make a movie poster about it complete with synopsis and cast of characters. Ceres chose to make up a story about a trip to Alaska where he gets lost in the forest and has to fight to survive in wolf country. Part of his adventure involves a "mysterious old man" who may or may not be a friend to our young hero.

As we are putting the finishing touches on the poster, I notice Ceres has listed his cast of characters. Naturally, he has used names from real life (this is supposed to be his experience). He is the lost teenager, I am his mother, and Dave his father. And the mysterious old man?

Brett.

"Brett." I say. "As in your uncle, Brett?"
"Yep, that's the one." Ceres replies.

I burst out laughing. How Ceres came to that casting conclusion I'm not sure. And I didn't have time to ask because we were down to the wire - it was time to go. But I thought it was a pretty funny call and one that I'm sure Brett would get a kick out of.

So, Brett, how 'bout it? Are you up for a little acting gig? We already know you're an old man, but do you think you could channel your "mysterious" side?

Here it is, in writing.


P.S. I just noticed this. For all you El Charro fans: if you click on the poster picture you will notice under "Coming Soon" Ceres sneaked in a little joke. It says, "After Labor Day ? ? ?" Haha, funny kid.

5 comments:

Syd said...

That is great!!!!

Colleen Coleman said...

Sometimes when you look at a kid you think I wonder what he is thinking. Who would have thought that this kid really is thinking and that he is soooooo deep. Way to go smart kid!

KaraLyn said...

That's funny! We missed you last night (come finish your craft night). We all wanted to see your sock!

Jeff Pearson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natalie said...

Hi Kristen, it's so good to hear from you! Our family is doing really well, just getting ready for Aaron to leave for Africa on Thursday, crazy! How is your family doing? It's been fun to look at your blog to see what you guys have been up to, I haven't seen you for such a long time! Ceres is getting so big, and from your stories he seems like quite the character! ( The story with Brett is hilarious!) Also, you are very talented, I wish I knew how to knit as well as you, it looks like fun!