Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Some Panic-Induced Cleaning

We are in the process of buying our house. Need I say more? Let me skip to the appraisal portion of this adventure. . .

When the call came that the appraiser needed to come by and check some things out, I panicked and insisted that the office get cleaned up. It took a whole day. To our amazement, we discovered that a floor does still exist in that room.

I don't have any "before" pictures (wouldn't want the evidence circulating about), but take this mess and apply it to the whole room. Twice.


But I do have "after" pictures. I'm very proud of our new room. It's not perfect, but at least the land mines of paper and toys and sharp things and lost things and forgotten things are gone. Look, a futon! (At the bottom right of the picture.)


And I can now walk into the closet (which, by the way, is twice as big as my bedroom closet - so unfair). I actually laid down in it, just to spend a blissful moment in the space.


And the best part of the whole process. . . .No creepy critters (like roaches, or mice, or goblins) lying in wait. Phew!

And there's more. We took a huge step in completing our bedroom's transformation and got things up on the walls. We still need to paint the doors and vent cover, find some cool new bedding, and get a console table to put our sound system on for our future (distant) flat-panel TV (for which we have devoted a whole wall). And, I am working up the courage to suggest to Dave a ceiling re-paint. But we are getting really close to finally (FINALLY!) completing this room.


Candace also came by and, after making me walk 5 miles (more on that later), dusted and vacuumed. And she cleaned our kitchen cabinet doors and drawers (which have some kind of sticky paint on them and don't have any handles or knobs and are thus, grime magnets). I couldn't be more grateful or lucky. I have the best, bester, bestest sister!

And so, back to the appraiser. Yeah, I'm new at this and I didn't know what to expect and, it turns out, the panicking was unnecessary. Well, actually, not unnecessary - look what it accomplished. But all he did was get the square footage of the inside and outside of the house, ask about gas and/or electric, count bedrooms/bathroom, note shingle tiles and carport, take some pictures (of, among other things, a clean office, aka 3rd bedroom) and threaten to steal Dave's cool riding mower.

Little does he know. . .

6 comments:

Crazymamaof6 said...

nothing like a little panic to get your rear in gear! that is awesome and SUPER EXCITING! love the transformation. i know how that goes. i don't post before pictures either. SCARY! it's too scary here for that. someone might call the authorities on me or something. yay!

SuperCoolMom said...

I love having a reason to clean! (Because not living in squalor is not enough of a reason. LOL!) Your bedroom decorating scheme is gorgeous!! LOVE IT!

Unknown said...

No, you're the bestest sister EVER! If you weren't, I would have sat on my butt and ate all of your cheddar and sour cream potato chips and then put the nearly empty bag back in the cupboard. Oh, wait, I did do that. Well, you're still the bestest sister ever!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the pics of your bed room. They could totally be pics from a design magazine. I love the color you painted the walls.

The Whimsical Goblin said...

me sadly had to move out when you cleaned up, very sad day indeed

Jordyn Perkins said...

I just read your WHOLE blog to catch up on you!!! You have quite the talent lady. :) By the way, LOVE the hair!!! Love the dancing socks, and your artistic mirror pic of your room, and your whole blog! I just love reading you! You really are talented my friend. When are you coming to see me and my Edyn baby!? Congrats on your house too! I am so happy for you! Sadly, we are losing ours. Come see me! :)